Satchi

Peter B. High j45843a
Tue Jul 27 00:55:13 EDT 1999

<
Joseph Murphy wrote:

> Barbara Hartley's juxtaposing the press treatment of the female defendant
> in the recent "Karei jiken" to the vilification of Satchi Nomura brings to
> mind another antecedent for the way the mass-media siezes on these strong,
> transgressive women, and possibly for the wide-show format itself, namely
> the "poison woman" genre of serial fiction popular in the 1870's when
> Japan's mass journalism was just establishing itself .
> It's not such a stretch to the current discussion both for the similarity
> in mass-media format and the consistent content of the fantasies being
> circulated...

In our two postings, I think both Joseph and I have been groping toward the realization
that the Japanese media tends to orchestrate its "incidents" according to certain
dramaturgical patterns ("ur-stories" perhaps?) and that it may be possible to track these
patterns back into earlier historical periods. I first came upon this notion when I was
writing an essay abpout the Japanese press during the Manchurian Incident of 1931. In
hindsight at least, reportahge during the "prelude" period leading up to full-scale
intervention--featuring assassinations of Japanese individuals and even a massacre of
Japanese residents in Manchuria--seemed to me to be following the classic plot development
pattern of the *matatabi*-style jidaigeki (samurai film). First there is the the series of
one-sided outrages carried out by a sinister enemy whose "true shape" and motives remain
obscure. The hero (the ronin, the yakuza, or in this case, the Japanese army) stoically
endures the provocations, holding to priniciples of decorum and morality utterly
incomprehensible to the villain(s). Of course, the reader/viewer knows that eventually the
hero's endurance will snap and that he will launch against the enemy a jihad of righteous
fury (the "*nagurikomi*/i.e. full-scale military action) in which the perfidy is requited
in a bloddbath and the villains abashed.
--Parenthetically and for what its worth, the "co-star" in the Satchi drama, Asaka
Mitsuyo, is known to the Japanese public for her stage work in old-time *Onnna
Kengeki*--samurai dramas enacted by all-women troups. On stage, she presumably played the
righteous samurai doing to death all sorts of villains preying upon the hapless public.

Now, returning to the 1930s--> For the subsequent Shanghai Incident of spring 1932, which
developed into military conflict too quickly for the press to emplot it in the above
manner, the incident was given "transcendent" significance by digging out extraordinary
examples of self-sacrificial valor displayed by individuals or small groups of military
men  involved in the fighting there.The narrative category for such exemplary incidents is
as ancient as the medieval era *senki-mono*, such military histories as the *Taiheiki*
etc. This was the BIDAN (lit. "beautiful tale"). Before coming upon the single ideal bidan
for the Incident, we find the press almost daily putting forward various candidates in the
form of little front page accounts of "brave deaths" on the battlefields to the north and
west of the city. The one they finally settled involved three youing men who died while
trying to blow up enemy barbed wire defenses. Tokyo Nichinichi immediately dubbed them
"Our Three Human Bomb Patriots" (Bakudan Sanyushi), while ASsahi used the term "Three
Flesh-bullet Patriots" (Nikudan Sanyushi); it is usually under the latter name that they
are referred to in the history books. Within weeks, the Flesh-bullet Three became the
subject of radio plays, "quickie" (kiwamono) movies, rakugo routines and even full-scale
stage plays.

One of the remarkable aspects of the above incidents was the manner in which  the national
press would throw up one real-life "candidate" after another (in the form of
"provocations" and then of valorous deaths in action) in an open attempt to find just the
right material to fit a pre-determined narrative model. This, naturally, would lead to the
impression on on the part of the public spectator  of similar incidents "clustering"--in
other words, the instinctive perception of "crisis". It seems to me that we continue to be
exposed to this sort of serialized reportage today--the North Korea-related stuff, the
scandals in the economic world, etc. etc. Interestingly enough, once the sense of "crisis"
has been set a-brewing in the..."MEGA-sphere," can I say?--the arenas of politics, high
finance, government and similar areas of High Historico-social Import--the media then sets
to work creating  minor key counterpoints, public or personal scandals clearly unrelated
in their details to the "crisis" of the  MEGA-sphere  and yet, on some virtually
subliminal level, vibrating to the same rythm. This of course is today the dimension
worked by the Wideshow  and the shukanshi.
 For example, returning to our early thirties parallel, we find the great Lovers' Suicide
Rage of 1932-34. On May 10, 1932, the newspapers reported  the suicide of Chosho Goro, a
Keio University student, and his sweetheart Yaeko. The two had met at a Christian
fellowship meeting and fallen in love, but because of class differences, marriage had been
forbidden by both sets of parents. The means of death they chose was both romantic and
striking. They jumped into the Sakatayama volcano above the beach at Oiso. The day after
the initial news report, all of the national papers published their suicide note, in which
they told (the entire nation, as it turned out) that they had died "pure in body and
spirit." At Tokyo Nichi Nichi Shimbun, the copy editor had the inspiration to play up the
Christian connection, publishing the note  under the headline "A Love That Reached
Heaven". It was the headline's brilliant balance of spirituality and barely suppressed
eros, more than the actual event, which created the greatest sensation and set off the
subsequent chain of events. Within days, the suicide was being re-enacted as a play by
various small stage troupes using the headline as their title. Radio too picked up the
story, first in editorial commentary and then as a radio drama. Record producers released
a number of sentimental ballads extolling the pure love of Goro and Yaeko, and Shochiku
film company announced it would produce *A love That Reached Heaven*, with Gosho Heinosuke
as director.By this time, the surge of copy-cat suicides (i.e. the "clustering effect")
had begun . From mid-May, several couples a day were climbing the slopes of Sakatayama to
throw themselves into the volcano . Now, with the movie, their numbers doubled. At the
movie theaters, usherettes had to patrol the aisles as young couples had taken to drinking
poison during the showing. By the end of the year, there had been hundreds of
suicides.After a brief lull, the Lover`s Suicide Rage flared anew. On January 9 (1933), a
pair of school girls climbed Miharayama volcano on Oshima Island, a short ferry trip from
Tokyo, and, holding hands, jumped in. The first copy-cat suicides began three days later.
As before, the press reacted with sensationalist irresponsibility. Pictures of young
lovers creeping up the slope arm-in-arm were published with syrupy thanatopic
captions.When the rage finally subsided for good in March, a total of 944 young people had
perished in the Miharayama crater ( Kato Hidetoshi's count).

Certainly, on the surface, the two levels of "incidents"--those of the mega-sphere and the
counter-pointing minor-key Lovers' Suicide incident--had nothing to do with one another.
Yet, clearly, they were all sagas of death, and were therefore thematically linked. To
recognize this, we need only realize that the issue of Fascism ("fassho") was just then
dominating public discourse. The connection , I think, was made most apparent in a comment
by German director Karl Ritter a few years later, about the intention of his own
fascist/Nazi films: "I want to impress upon our youth the transcendent value of apparently
meaningless death."
For those  who feel it inappropriate to suddenly drag in evidence from a foreign source,
one could re-explain the issue within a purely "native" context.  The Lovers' Suicide Rage
became  a successful minor key counterpoint incident by being "sublimed" (in both the
alchemical and the literal sense) into a parable of surpassing "beauty." And, to continue
the alchemical metaphor, the Philosopher's Stone was the early-on Nichinichi Shimbun
headline: "The Love that Reached Heaven"...and that patriotism was seen as another form of
that same vaulting love.

This brings us to Aaron's repeated query in reference to the Satchi affair--what is its
significance in the context of major events in the mega-sphere (centering on the Diet
resolutions and debate about defense/the flag and the national anthem)? By implication at
least, he is asking whether we can perceive an aspect of direct manipulation or
re-direction of public consciousness away from the truly important to the trivial.
Certainly this appears to be the effect. Personally--and, as with the example I developed
in my previous posting about the  Abe Sada affair and its virtual concurrence with the
February 26 Incident of 1938--I find it difficult to locate the subjective (i.e. the
"willing") element which does the "re-diriecting" of public consciousness. That is also
why I have trouble with Noam Chomsky's fascinating studies on  American politics and the
press. Observations couched in this sort of "anthropomorphizing" mode of expression may
work well as a kind of short-hand, in other words as a means of cutting to direct
observations of the phenomena, but there is a clear tendency for the
anthropomorphized/short-hand unit (the Press, the Government, the Power Elite, Them) to
stand up and begin to walk around by itself.
What I would like to posit here is possibility that there is no subjective or "willing"
element to be found, rather that at some refined meta-level "real" events and their
representation in the media interact according to certain naturally-arising patterns and
that they produce "products" (incidents, scandals etc) which send out ripples through both
dimensions:
Query #1: Cannot these patterns be considered either as a.) universals (i.e. part of the
phenomenon of our present day planet-girdling media news coverage and/or, more distantly,
arising from the ancient structures of human story-telling ) and also as b.) determined by
the narrative modes peculiar to a specific culture, with its roots thrust deep into that
culture's own sentimental, historical and story-telling traditions? In reference to a.),
we could hypothesize that the CNN format may be a hybrid spawn of the Hollywood narrative
tradition which, since Griffith at leasst, developed techniques for universal transparency
and "reader friendliness." (So what do we make of CNN'schief rival, BBC?--is it so
substantiallyy different?) Queries about b.) will be covered below.

Standing in the way, I think, is the comparatively recent history of modern media
themselves and the manner in which they tend to compound, interact, and mutually
reinforce--via music, sound (effects), the oral word, written word, the visual image,
etc--to create  the illusion of "crises" et al--in Japan, I of course locate its inception
in the early thirties. In the past  hundred years, the very sense of a publicly-shared Now
has undergone tremendous change--starting with "recently"/in the past several days or
weeks (via newspapers) to the Now we experience  today--"just now"/ a few hours ago/ a few
minutes ago/ "developing on your screen RIGHT NOW!" Another problem is that new dimensions
keep being added to the mass media. For example, I can't think of a single 1930s example
comparable, in immediacy at least, to the image Joseph Murphy talks about so
eloquently--Hayashi Masumi hosing down the press. Also, I remember a personal conversation
with Markus (Nornes) in which we tried to list up some of the "iconic photo images" which
have encapsulated our impression of impportant moments of the twentieth century--the
explosion of the Arizona at Pearl Harbor, the burned Vietnamese village girl...But even
these have a different, far more limited range of sensibility than that green Bagdad sky
we all saw on CNN the moment the Gulf War began. More striking than its composition and
direect visual impact was the eerie you-are-there/yet-aren't-there, vicarious immediacy
provided by satellite tv. Its a visual icon of a quite different sort. Photographs are
always "then."

Query #2: Returning to hypothesis b.)--about media coverage being determined by the native
narrative patterns of a particular culture, I wonder if other readers would agree that the
historical antecedant line opened by Joseph and myself has merit. The idea, as I see it
anyway, is that the culture has, ready-to-hand, a complex set of (what I call) ur-stories
and thayt modern mass media constantly fishes down among these stories, not only to find
an appropriate "shape" for casting an already-unfolding story, but on a more instinctive
level, for types of new stories to pursue (or, maybe, invent?). And, that the
story-tellers--tv, the papers, shukanshi,etc. etc.--are not consciously in conmtrol of
this rummaging.
Sub-query a.) What would these stories be and how could we identifyu them?
In the Japanese context, Japanese historians seem to make the task easy by plotting out
their historical accounts  popular culture cultural history along a time line of
consecutively occurring incidents and fads. These latter form the dots of the line. The
spaces between, representing various mini-eras in the life of Japanese mass society, are
given substance by invoking the buzz words, slogans (inspired by the government or
advertising), popular songs and memorable visual images of the period. All of my examples
from the 30s figure large in most such accounts.
Sub-query b.) Okay, this might possibly be true for Japan, but can we say if its equally
true for other cultures? And what of such "international" media as CNN? Should we only
look into American lore for its ur-stories?
Sub-query C.) What, if anything, does this tell us about the Satchi affair? Can we place
it as a projection of one or another of these ur-stories?

Although I feel I have lots more to say  about the matter, I think I'll stop here to see
if there is any reaction. Thqat's the great thing about lists like this. Its not necessary
to develop a notion in complete isolation.
To quote Sitemaster Aaron, "Any comments?"

Peter B. High
Nagoya University

   The phenomenon (of the "true-account" genre) occurs during