Suo film & Turim book

Dr. Darrell Davis dwdavis
Thu Mar 11 00:04:21 EST 1999

Hello Everyone:

I have two questions:  Suo Masayuki's HENTAI KAZOKU: ANIKI NO OYOME SAN
(Cat III, adult film) has been showing here in HK for well over a month. Is
this the famous porno parody of Ozu?  I don't understand this film's
relatively long run here (considering it's 15 years old); whether it can be
put down to the Suo name, or arthouse titillation, or simple lust.  A local
review commented on its clinical, mechanical treatment of sex, which
probably turns some people on (you never can tell).

Does anyone have any comments on Maureen Turim's book on Oshima?  I am
supposed to give a talk on it and would like to know how it's being
received.  Thank you!