No Subject

PercySun at aol.com PercySun at aol.com
Sat Nov 13 08:40:01 EST 1999

I post to KineJapan with two entirely different purposes.
First, let me (again) reintroduce myself: I am the consultant editor for the
film section of an encyclopedia on contemporary Japanese culture, forthcoming
from Routledge, edited by Sandra Buckley. The individual who was to write the
2000 word “film history overview” (the most fundamental, and in a sense
important, entry) wants to withdraw (and this is after the deadline). I’m
looking for someone both qualified, and willing, to take it over with as
short a turn around time as possible. There is some minimal compensation.
Please, anyone interested, email me directly at:
PercySun at aol.com
Second, next semester (at Gallatin School-New York University)  I will be
teaching for the first time a course called Beyond Good and Evil: Gangsters,
Violence and the Urban Landscape. It’s an undergraduate class  -
[interdisciplinary/intercultural] that introduces the Hong Kong gangster film
phenomenon and tracks the aftermath, so to speak, (I’m trying to avoid the
simplistic notion of “influence” - especially thinking about the recent post
in which it was reported that John Woo spoke of being inspired by a Japanese
60s film.....)  in Japanese and American gangster films, while asking
questions about relative ethics, porous boundaries between good and evil,
urban anomie and alienation, etc. Representative filmmakers of Hong Kong and
Japan that I’m thinking of include: John Woo, Wang Kar-Wai, Suzuki Seijun,
Kitano Takeshi. (Films must be available with English subtitles, obviously.)
My question is: does anybody know of good, thought provoking essays on these
Asian filmmaker/this “genre” in English suitable for undergraduate readings?
(Or, if there’s something really special on American filmmakers such as
Tarantino - although obviously I’ve found much more on this on my own.)
Of course I’m doing the library journal search, but have not turned up much
(on Hong Kong/Japan) to date.
Oh, one more question - does anyone know if there is a videotape of Butoh
performance? (for another class) Prefereably with English subtitles or
narration, but ANYTHING would do.
Thanks to all,
Nina Cornyetz