Eiga Geijutsu

Abe' Mark Nornes amnornes
Thu Nov 4 07:56:02 EST 1999

The Autumn 1999 issue (no. 388) of _Eiga Geijutsu_ is in stores, and is
largely devoted to _Gohatto_, the new Oshima Nagisa film which is scheduled
for release next month. There are interviews with cast, crew, and Oshima, as
well as reports from the set.

The other item of interest in this issue is one of their surveys, this time
on the question of Elia Kazan's Oscar. The answer that caught my eye was the
one by Adachi Masao, who wrote from prison in Beirut.* This might be his
first writing on film since leaving filmmaking to become a professional
revolutionary in the mid-1970s. Basically, he's not clapping for Kazan, but
he concludes, "Compared to the greatest crime of the 20th century perptrated
by Gorbachev, cannot all the sins, all the informers, and all the liars be
forgiven?" A man who stands by his principles!

Markus

* At least that's what the magazine says, but someone was telling me he was
moved to another country...anyone kknow about this?