Pokemon and Mononoke

wlt4@mindspring.com wlt4
Fri Nov 12 15:17:14 EST 1999

>>Actually it's Miramax releasing this and not Disney...

>Disney owns Miramax, of course, and they have not given Miramax the freedom

Yes but the point is not ownership but who is actually releasing the film since "Mononoke" follows a pattern that Miramax understands and often uses.  If Disney had released it then this probably would have been different.  (& trying not to stray too far off topic, none of the published reports I've seen indicate that Disney refused to allow Miramax to release "Dogma" only that the Weinsteins bought it themselves to avoid such a confrontation.  Not that I want to defend Miramax because their handling and editing of films is often callous and anti-art.)