Suzuki Seijun

Ingeborg Hansen & Dick Stegewerns bodiba
Sun Nov 14 05:09:36 EST 1999

Dear Nina Cornyetz,

> Representative filmmakers of Hong Kong and
> Japan that I'm thinking of include: John Woo, Wang Kar-Wai, Suzuki Seijun,
> Kitano Takeshi. (Films must be available with English subtitles, obviously.)
> My question is: does anybody know of good, thought provoking essays on these
> Asian filmmaker/this genre in English suitable for undergraduate readings?
> (Or, if there's something really special on American filmmakers such as
> Tarantino - although obviously I've found much more on this on my own.)
> Of course I'm doing the library journal search, but have not turned up much
> (on Hong Kong/Japan) to date.

Apart from the few titles on Suzuki and the load of titles on Kitano you can
find in the Kinema Club Database there is another publication you might be
interested in:

"Suzuki Seijun: The Desert under the Cherry Blossoms". Stichting Film
Festival Rotterdam/Uitgeverij Uniepers Abcoude, 1991. ISBN 90 6825 090 6

This is the 5th issue in the 'Tijgerreeks' of the Rotterdam International
Film Festival, which organised a retrospective of Suzuki's films in 1991.
The publication consists of a long article by Hasumi Shigehiko, a few short
articles by Suzuki himself, three interviews, a biography and a filmography.
All articles are in both Dutch and English.

Best regards,

Dick Stegewerns

Centre for Japanese and Korean Studies
Leiden University