Pokemon and Mononoke

wlt4@mindspring.com wlt4
Tue Nov 16 10:56:52 EST 1999

> if not handled properly "Mononoke" could experience a parents' backlash (there
>were minor rumbles of such at Telluride).

>What happened?

I wasn't there but a friend who was says that a lot of parents brought younger children because it was a "cartoon" and she heard several of them complaining afterwards both about the movie and that the festival hadn't really indicated that it's not appropriate for children (one of which supposedly was having nightmares).  Whether or not the festival did notify people is something I don't know; from years of experience working with the public I do know that a surprising number of people will never notice such information.

Though my question now is how the film was perceived in Japan.  Did parents take younger children?  What ages?  Is there a different idea of what should or shouldn't be appropriate for children?  So much of the anime and manga that makes it to the US is fanboy stuff that I always feel we're getting a skewed idea of what it's like in Japan.

LT