Fwd: AKIRA KUROSAWA AND POST W.W.II CINEMA OF JAPAN

Randy Man ranman at csf.edu
Wed Sep 22 18:43:27 EDT 1999

It seems to me that the title of Prof. Soifer's class is highly misleading.
If he doesn't intend to focus primarily on Kurosawa (which I think anybody
contemplating enrolling in it would assume), then he ought to change the
title. Another question that goes a-begging here is whether the Japanese
cinema of the 1990s can still profitably be called "post war". I don't think
so.

In answer to his question about availability of some early Kurosawa titles,
only SANSHIRO SUGATA of those mentioned is available on video (Homevision
VHS). It used to be available in 16mm from Audio Brandon and may still be
from Films Inc. I would also recommend avoiding the wretched Facets tape of
DRUNKEN ANGEL. If you haven't already bought it, don't. It's a waste of
money. Go with 16mm if you can still find it (again try Films Inc.).

Randolph Man
College of Santa Fe