Intro/Richie

David Desser d-desser
Wed Sep 1 22:15:07 EDT 1999

At 3:08 PM 9/1/99, Mark Gowdy wrote:

>I was wondering if Donald Richie is planning to update his Kurosawa
>book - does anyone know what he is up to at the moment.

Richie already published a third edition of his Kurosawa book, taking it up
to what turned out to be K's last film, MADADAYO.  This third edition adds
the films published since the previous edition (DREAMS,RHAPSODY IN AUGUST,
MADADAYO), and updates the final section of the book as well.  It's
published again by the U of California Press in paperback.  I reviewed it
for the JOURNAL OF ASIAN STUDIES 38, 1 (Fall 1998).

At the moment, I believe that Richie is working on updating his JAPANESE
CINEMA:  FILM STYLE AND NATIONAL CHARACTER.

David Desser