Intro

Aaron Gerow gerow
Thu Sep 2 01:13:02 EDT 1999

>1.  The UK is very poor at distributing Japanese movies on video - you can
>only buy a few Kurosawa (but not Red Beard), and some Ozu and some Kitano.
>Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Actually, I have ordered some videos from the UK precisely because there
are some titles which are not available in the States on VHS, including
some Nikkatsu Roman Poruno and recent films.  You can try some place like
Choices Direct (http://www.choicesdirect.co.uk/contents.htm).

>3.  I was wondering if Donald Richie is planning to update his Kurosawa
>book - does anyone know what he is up to at the moment.

As Mark has mentioned before, Richie is finishing up (or finished?) a
book on the best films of Japanese film history.  I last saw him when he
came to Meigaku a few months ago to talk to a small group of us about his
early years in Japan and the beginnings of foreign scholarship of
Japanese film.  A bit weaker these days, but still very active.  By the
way, a retro of Richie's films will be held in October someplace--I have
to check where (my memory is not what it was).

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html