KineJun Best 10

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow at angel.ne.jp
Thu Jan 6 18:36:57 EST 2000

The Kinema Junpo Best Ten for 1999, selected by several dozen film
critics for the magazine Kinema Junpo, was announced.  The results are as
follows:

1. A, haru
2. Kin'yu fushoku retto: Jubaku
3. 39 Keiho dai-sanjukyujo
4. Poppoya
5. M/OTHER
6. Nodo jiman
7. Kikujiro no natsu
8. Osaka monogatari
9. Doko made mo iko
10. Kokiyu

Inidividual awards were as follows:

Best director: Harada Masato (Jubaku)
Best screenplay: Takasugi Ryo, et al (Jubaku)
Best actress: Suzuki Kyoka (39)
Best actor: Takakura Ken (Poppoya)
Best supporting actress: Fuji Junko (Sumiko) (A, haru, etc.)
Best supporting actor: Shiina Kippei (Jubaku, etc.)
Best new actress: Ikewaki Chizuru (Osaka monogatari)
Best new actor: Kitamura Ikki (Minazuki, et al.)

Can't comment until the Best Ten issue comes out (which is February 5th,
I think), but a typical KineJun list: Favor the major distribution films
by major directors without bowing to the commerical favorites (thus
selecting A, haru over Jubaku, which has topped other domestic awards),
while nodding to independents in the lower ranks.  Kikujiro made the best
ten, but its low ranking (compared to previous Kitano films) reveals its
poor reception domestically.  Nice to see M/OTHER and Doko made mo make
it, but why Doko made and not Gekko no sasayaki?  And is Kitamura Ikki,
who deserves an award, really a "new actor"?  _Gohatto_, by the way, was
not eligible, I believe, because of its release late in December.

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html