Mononoke aftermath

Aaron Gerow gerow
Fri Jan 14 23:33:41 EST 2000

It seems that the American run of Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke is mostly
over and I was wondering what people thought of what happened.  When the
film was released, there were discussions about problems in the release
strategy, but what do people think now?  In the end, it seems the film
ended up with about $2.2 million in grosses, much less than even Shall We
Dance? earned.  Still, the film got very good reviews and there was good
fan response. St.Paul/Minneapolis was apparently a test market. What
happened there?

And for those of us not in the States, what kind of discussions went on
over the film?  The following informative books were published in
conjunction with the release:

Hayao Miyazaki : Master of Japanese Animation : Films, Themes, Artistry
by Helen McCarthy
Paperback - 220 pages (September 1999)
Stone Bridge Press; ISBN: 1880656418

The Princess Mononoke : The Art and Making of Japan's Most Popular Film
of All Time
Hardcover (October 1, 1999)
Talk Miramax Books; ISBN: 0786866098

Any comments on these?  Anyone see any articles they liked?  Can anyone
talk about the themes, shape, and nature of the discourse on Miyazaki?

Just curious...

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html