Job Announcement

Charles Inouye cinouye
Mon Jan 31 13:58:51 EST 2000

To whom it may concern:

 Tufts University is opening a search for a visiting assistant
professor of Japanese culture and film/media.  Below is a
copy of the job description.

 Please inform any possible candidates of this opportunity.  The
successful candidate will join me and Hosea Hirata in continuing to build
an excellent, forward-looking Japanese language, literature, and culture
program at Tufts.  The appointment is for one year with possibility of
renewal.

 We hope to establish a tenure-track for a similarly focused
assistant professorship in the near future.  At that time, whoever
fills this visiting appointment in Japanese media/film studies will
certainly be
encouraged to apply.

 Other faculty members at Tufts presently doing focused research on
Japan include Gary Leupp (history), Ikumi Kaminishi (art history), Tomie
Han, (music), and Shinju Fujihara (political science).  Others with
interests in various aspects of Japanese culture are numerous.  Tufts is
deeply committed to international education, and has a continuing interest
in Japan studies in particular.

 There is already an established interest in Japanese visual
culture and film here at Tufts.  Please help us locate someone who
shares this interest and would enjoy living in the Boston area.

     Respectfully,

     Charles Shiro Inouye
     Director of Japanese Studies
     Dean of the Colleges

TUFTS UNIVERSITY, DEPARTMENT OF GERMAN, RUSSIAN & ASIAN
LANGUAGES & LITERATURES

Visiting Assistant Professor in Japanese Culture and Film/Media, 2000-2001.
 1 year appointment with possibility of renewal.

Responsibilities include:  teaching 2 courses per semester in Japanese
culture/film/media with at least one course in film theory or world film;
involvement in the Japanese Program and participation in the development of
a world film program.

Required:  native or near-native fluency in Japanese and English; Ph.D. (by
time of appointment) in media studies, film, literature or some aspect of
humanistic studies.  Send letter of application, CV, samples of relevant
publications, and 3 letters of recommendation (mailed directly) to:
Professor Charles Inouye, Director of Japanese Program, Department of
German, Russian and Asian Languages & Literatures, Tufts University, Olin
Center 306, Medford, MA  02155.  Review of applications will begin on
February 15 and continues until the position is filled.  Tufts University
is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.  We are committed to
increasing the diversity of our faculty.  Members of underrepresented
groups are strongly encouraged to apply.

--
Associate Professor of Japanese
Director of the Japanese Program

Department of German, Russian, and Asian Languages and Literatures
Olin 306
Tufts University
Medford, MA  02155

voice (617) 627-3442 fac. 627-3945 (Olin Center)
voice (617) 627-3164 fac. 627-3971 (Ballou Hall)
cinouye at tufts.edu