Three bits of news --- anime restrictions

amnornes@umich.edu amnornes
Wed Jun 28 10:58:02 EDT 2000

--On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 3:27 PM +0900 Aaron Gerow <gerow at ynu.ac.jp> wrote:

> 3) The Korean government announced it would even further relax the
> restrictions on importing Japanese pop cultural products.....(they) now
allow animated movies that have won international awards.

This one is largely meaningless. When I was in Korea last month, everyone I
talked to had seen the major films and tv shows. I stayed with a family
part of the time, and their kids were "muchu" in pokemon mania (Pikachu
plush dolls were in all the stores). They were imitating trainers and
drawing pictures of Pokemon scenes. Apparently, the centers for bootleg
tape distribution are the stores around any college campus.

Markus