pink eiga and Japan as subculture

Aaron Gerow gerow
Mon Nov 13 00:26:14 EST 2000

Thanks to Jasper for bringing these issues up.  In my response, I
certainly did not want to say that Jasper was being "superficial" in his
observations.  In fact, I did in part want to applaud him for trying to
conceptualize his observations while also opening them up to discussion
in a public form like this list.  To few people do that.

Jasper did bring something which I think is very important:

>Pinku may make up a disproportionately
>large amount of Japanese cinematic output compared with other countries, yet
>it takes up an even larger proportion of the number of Japanese titles being
>released in the West at the moment. Within cult cinema circles, people
>assume that Japanese cinema is typified by the output for example, of Japan
>Shock Video, or the films listed in books such as 'Eros In Hell' or Thomas
>Weisser's 'Essential Guide to Japanese Cinema', where "essential" seems to
>overlook, for example, the TORA-SAN movies in favour of films with titles
>such as ROPE AND BREASTS. This is almost an inversion of Academic Film
>Critique, which as far as Japanese Cinema goes, still seems unable to look
>past the Golden Age of Ozu and Kurosawa. The middle ground is still firmly
>ignored by distributors, and hence Westerners are more likely to form their
>opinions on the Japanese from disparate sources such as Chambara or Roman
>Porno, with contemporary films such as those mentioned on this list seldom
>making it outside of the festival circuit.

I would like to ask other members what they think of this phenomenon.  We
all are aware that the appeal of Japanese cinema, as well its importation
and study, was for many years strongly influenced by certain Western
visions of Japan we could call orientalist, focusing on the traditional,
exotic, different--somehow "better"--Japan.  (This was a vision, by the
way, some Japanese cultural institutions were not remiss in bolstering.)

But clearly with the popularity among many afficianados of Japanese film
of not only anime, but also certain pink or cyberpunk films, it is no
longer the quiet Japan that is the focus, but the noisy (as in noise
music), pop, technological, "dangerously" sexy Japan.  Japan itself as
subculture, one could say.  Maybe this is a good step away from the
conception of Japan as "still traditional," bringing the nation well into
the 21st century, but as Jasper notes, it is clearly not the only picture
of Japan and probably not even accurate (whatever "accuracy" is).  Jasper
reminds us of the institutional conditions that support this new
conception (film distribution, publishing, academica), but I wonder what
are the modes of reception that encourage this vision.  Clearly this is
not like the old Orientalism, but is this just the Techno-Orientalism
David Morely wrote about (Japan as the desired/feared technological
Other)?  In some ways, it seems congruent with the vision of Japan of
"subculture studies," but less in the politicized work of British
subculture studies, for instance, than in the otaku-gaku of Okada Toshio
and others.  If an orientalist vision of Japan tells us more about the
observer than the observed, what is this new conception telling us about
its proponents, about the West, and about Japan place in the world in the
21st century?

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html