Fwd: CFP: Media Literacy & Education

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Sun Sep 17 19:55:00 EDT 2000

---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------
From: Martin F Norden <norden at comm.umass.edu>

*** apologies for cross-postings ***

Hello, all.  An off-list colleague, Gary Edgerton, has asked me to forward
the following Call for Papers.  If you have any questions, please contact
Gary directly at <gedgerto at odu.edu>.

thanks,
Marty Norden

     A CALL FOR PAPERS ON
     MEDIA LITERACY and EDUCATION:
     THE TEACHER-SCHOLAR IN FILM AND TELEVISION

     JOURNAL OF POPULAR FILM AND TELEVISION

     DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ESSAYS IS 1 MARCH 2001

     A theme issue of the Journal of Popular Film and Television is
announced on the topic of "Media Literacy and Education: The
Teacher-Scholar in Film and Television."  This issue is scheduled for Fall
of 2001.

     Articles may include (but are not limited to) the following agenda
items:
     What is media literacy?  What are the underlying assumptions of a
media literacy perspective?  What are the differing philosophies and
approaches towards media literacy operating in the world today?
     How widespread are efforts at media literacy?  What countries,
organizations, school systems, and universities are recognized leaders in
media literacy and why?  What strategies are now most effective in raising
awareness of and teaching media literacy?
     What is the history and development of film and television studies in
higher education and secondary schools?  What are the various goals of the
moving image arts as a discipline?  How is film, television, and video
taught as a subfield in other disciplines in the arts, humanities, and
social sciences?
     How does one best organize and administer programs in the moving
image
arts? What are the most effective ways to prepare an overall curriculum as
well as plan and offer specific courses in film and television?
     What are the most pressing challenges in film and television
education
and research?  What do we need to preserve in what we do today and what
are
the areas in most need of innovation?
     How are the new digital technologies changing our roles as teachers,
researchers, and administrators?  How are these technologies transforming
the classroom, instructional techniques, publishing (among many other
areas)?  How is the Internet impacting on film and television studies?
What is our future in respect to distance/distributed education?

     Submissions that are interdisciplinary in theory and method, and
emphasize the relationship between film, television, and contemporary
culture are most welcome.  Relevant bibliographies and filmographies
dealing directly with media literacy and film and television education and
curricula are also encouraged.  In general, papers should be ten to
twenty-five, double-spaced pages, carry notes at the end, and follow the
MLA Style Sheet.  Accepted essays will, moreover, serve as the core for a
follow-up anthology on the same topic.

     Inquiries on the theme issue should be directed to the issue's
co-editors: Gary Edgerton <gedgerto at odu.edu> and/or Michael Marsden
<promarsden at acs.eku.edu>

     Three copies of the manuscript (and a self-addressed stamped envelope
if return is desired) should be mailed to:

     Dr. Gary R. Edgerton
     633 Batten Arts and Letters
     Communication and Theatre Arts Department
     Old Dominion University
     Norfolk, Virginia 23529-0087

     (757) 683-3831 -- office

Please no faxed or e-mail submissions.