New Subscriber

Dichrista@cs.com Dichrista
Mon Sep 18 01:17:09 EDT 2000

Dear kinejapan,
    I am looking forward to being connected with you.  I am a candidate at
the Institute for Psychoanalysis in Chicago, in both child and adult
psychoanalysis.  Before that I was a psychotherapist--again with children and
adults.  I have a 26-year-old son who taught English to the Japanese in a
language school in Osaka, and he is in a long distance relationship with a
Japanese woman from Kyoto, whom he met while he was there.  His girlfriend,
Yuki, is very knowledgeable about all film and encouraged me to see some of
the wonderful films of Ozu, Mizoguchi, and Kurosawa.  I am enthralled with
the humanity and richness of the films I have seen.

    The Music Box Theater in Chicago is in fact showing some of Kuroswawa's
films, and for the first time I saw "Seven Samurai," which I found
wonderfully done and very psychologically true to life.  I will subsequently
also see "Throne of Blood," and "Ran" at this theater, and I am sure they
will be just as wonderful.

    Eventually I would like to discuss publicly some of the major Japanese
films in terms of my psycho-analytic orientation.  They seem to combine all
aspects of life--tobe  made with a combination of humor and sadness.  They
continue to enrich my life.

Yours truly
Diane Dean