Genji Monogatari

ayelet zohar AyeletZ
Wed Sep 27 14:56:06 EDT 2000

thank you, stephan, for the information. Any idea about distributors and
video versios?

ayelet zohar

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
[mailto:owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu]On Behalf Of Stephen Cremin
Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2000 12:51 AM
To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: Genji Monogatari

Just did a quick check on post-1950 adaptations and came up with these, but
could be many others I've overlooked.  Note that 1987 version is an
animation and a very beautiful one at that.  I think Saegusa's adaptation
which opened at the end of July may still be playing theatres in Tokyo.  At
least we can presume it looks very nice given Saegusa track record with his
Rashomon adaptation MISTY.

1951 Tale of Genji (Genji Monogatari) dir. YOSHIMURA Kozaburo
1957 Floating Vessel (Genji Monogatari: Ukifune) dir. KINUGASA Teinosuke
1961 The Radiant Prince (Shin Genji Monogatari) dir. MORI Kazuo
1966 Tale of Genji (Genji Monogatari) dir. TAKECHI Tetsuji
1987 Tale of Genji (Genji Monogatari) dir. SUGII Gisaburo
2000 Lived in a Dream (Genji Monogatari: Asaki Yumemishi) dir: SAEGUSA Kenki

Stephen Cremin

===