Tokyo Story VCD Mystery

Michael Kerpan kerpan
Wed Apr 25 22:22:14 EDT 2001

I recently got a Hong Kong VCD set of Ozu's Tokyo Story (emanating from Shu
Kei's Creative Workshop -- with Chinese and English subtitles).   The visual
quality of at least nine-tenths of this release seems dramatically better
than the New Yorker video release, there seems to be a bit of a relapse right
at the end.  The sound also is (generally) noticeably better.  To all
appearances, it would seem that there has been some digital restoration.
Could this possibly be based on the University of Tokyo restoration?

My only problem with this release is that it showed me how horrible the
overscan on my television is.  The scrawny but serviceable English subtitles
are well placed when I look at this on my computer, but often fall off the
bottom of my TV screen. (sigh)

Michael Kerpan
Boston, MA