finding old films & Japan / America Film Wars index

A.M. Nornes amnornes
Sat Aug 11 20:57:44 EDT 2001

I don't know how many people realize this, but if you're looking for war era
films IN PRINT FORM, the index of Japan/America Film Wars (only the English
version) edited by Fukushima Yukio and myself, tell you where to find each
and every film listed. Of course, many of them are in the Film Center, which
won't help much, but many are in other places that are quite accessible.
This was an incredible pain to assemble, requiring the good graces of a
number of my archivist friends, so I hope _someone_ uses it!

Some of the films on your list are out on video, but none of them has
subtitles. You can probably get most of them through internet shops in
Japan. To the best of my knowledge.....

> Kamei Fumio$BCT(B:
> <Tatakau Heitai
> Shinajihen Kouhou Kiroku Shanghai>

ON VIDEO

> Kobayashi Issa
NOT AVAILABLE

> Dawn of Freedom (Abe Yutaka & Geraldo de Leon, 1943)
ON VIDEO, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE A CLUB MEMBER TO GET IT or go to the US
National Archives to dub the incomplete and scrambled Philippines version.

> Defend Manchuria (Mamore Manshu 1932) made by Mainichi and the Army
NOT AVAILABLE, BUT THERE'S A HUGE SET OF MAN'EI DOCUMENTARIES (VERY PRICEY)

> Nippon Banzai
> Crisis-Time Japan (Hijoji Nippon 1933) (given that it
> was used as $BEF(Bvidence$BG(Bat the Tokyo Trials, shouldn$BCU(B
> it be around somewhere$B) (B
ONLY AVAILABLE THROUGH THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES in wash DC (YOU HAVE TO GO
THERE TO DUB IT)

> Malayan War Record (Maraya Senki, 1942
> The Story of Tank Commander Nishizumi (made in 1940)
> 5 Scouts (made in 1939)
ON VIDEO

good luck. If the lack of subtitles is a problem, then try tatakau heitai.
It has only intertitles, and not that many of them. I've shown this film by
speaking over the soundtrack like a benshi. It works quite well.

Markus