Japanese pop band movies

Colin Geddes ultra8
Thu Aug 16 13:48:52 EDT 2001

The WILD ZERO DVD looks great plus has a drunken commentary with the
band and director, but that's in Japanese of course. I presented it
at the Toronto Int't Film Festical last year as part of the Midnight
Madness programme and we had 900 people in the audience and at the
mention of Guitar Wolf in my intro half the crowd responsed with a
hearty wolf howl! The band has played Toronto three times and have
quite the following. The director, Tetsuro Takeuchi, was blown away
by the response. He is a music video director by trade and has over
140 under his belt. I saw a selection of them at his office in Tokyo
and they rage from j-pop to -j-hardcore to j-hiphop. We were trying
to get a selection of them together for this year's fest to pair up
with ELECTRIC DRAGON 80, 000V but it didn't come together in time.

Cheers
Colin Geddes

>Thanks for alll the replies so far. Please keep them coming if
>anybody knows any others, preferably anything made before the 90s,
>since I'm not sure I've found what I'm looking for yet.
>
>Pete, the Guitar Wolf movie WILD ZERO is available on Japanese
>region 2 DVD (with English subtitles!) and can be ordered at CD
>Japan. Here, to be exact:
>http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KIBF-47
>
>It's thoroughly deranged, as one might expect, and sees the garage
>rockers fighting zombies and UFOs. Not exactly cinema's greatest
>work of art, but it is fun. Expect a full review at Midnight Eye in
>the coming weeks.
>
>Tom
>Midnight Eye
>http://www.midnighteye.com

Colin Geddes

HEADS UP! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING MY
CURRENT EMAIL ADDRESS <ultra8 at sympatico.ca>
THAT OLD <interlog> ADDRESS WILL CLOSE SOON

To check out my latest screenings, go to...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/ultra8/kungfufridays.html