"Future Diary" format heading for ABC

Aaron Gerow gerow
Fri Aug 31 04:07:28 EDT 2001

>Presumably, this is the
>FUTURE DIARY which was made into a documentary last year.  Directed by
>Sugimoto Toru and released theatrically on 26 August 2000, it must be one of
>the highest grossing documentaries of all time ... anywhere.

Whether this is a documentary or not is very debatable--though the debate
itself might be interesting.  As with the segment in TV's Unnan no
hontoko, young people who auditioned for the show/film are thrown
together and given scripts along the way as they play out a romance. Part
of the attraction of the concept is the supposed reality of the feelings
that are developed, but we can't deny that some of the pleasure stems
from the simultaneous transformation of reality into a well-scripted TV
drama and TV drama into reality.  Basically, this is representative of
Japanese TV's version of reality TV, along with Denpa shonen and Urinari.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
International Student Center
Yokohama National University