Some news (Japanese remake of Korean films)

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary
Thu Aug 2 10:18:16 EDT 2001

I'm still puzzled over which Korean film Yamakawa is remaking.  Fourth
highest film at the box office last year was THE FOUL KING.  Fourth highest
Korean film was THE LEGEND OF GINGKO.  My guess is that Yamakawa is remaking
DITTO, number seventh among Korean films last year at the box office, which
tells the story of two teenagers who communicate across time through ham
radio.  Itself a "remake" of IL MARE, released later to lower box office,
according to various rumours.  Both films for me takes the best joke in Hong
Kong cinema of the 1990s - Stephen Chow getting a phone call from his boss
in the middle of a fight scent in GOD OF GAMBLERS 3: BACK TO SHANGHAI after
being sent back in time forty years; the boss is still in contemporary Hong
Kong - and extend it into a feature film.

Stephen