Rotterdam and Sento

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary at mac.com
Mon Feb 5 02:31:03 EST 2001

I don't think it's so much the Sento connection here.  Wasn't Simon Field,
Rotterdam director, on the jury in Vancouver when THIS WINDOW IS YOURS won?
I'm not saying anything is underhand here - because I'm the biggest fan of
Furumaya's earlier work - but there is of course a small group of filmmakers
that have things pretty well stitched up on the Vancouver, Pusan, Rotterdam
route: Jia Zhangke, Fruit Chan, Nelson YU, Hong Sang-soo, etc.  And Kumakiri
and Furumaya would fit perfectly into that category.  I think much of it has
to do with the names that are pulled out of the hat for jury service at
these fests.  Always the same people.  Well, if anyone has any doubts I'm
always happy to bet money on who gets the prize money each year in Pusan.
But I warn you, I've got a strong track record on that one.

Stephen