related chanbure-eiga

David Duncan neku78 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 12:24:22 EST 2001

Intellecuals,
     As a topic of discussion I'd like to ask if anyone has checked out Jim
Jarmush's Ghost Dog.  As you may know my hunger for Japanese film is
pinpointed on Samurai or Chanbura-Eiga films.  I'm fully aware that this
film is American made.  I personally make no true distiction about where a
film is released, rather I tend to connect genre's as a whole.  If you've
seen Ghost, you know what a strange mix of characters this movie contains.
Forest Whittaker(sp?) plays a great but typical lone-wolf type asassin.  His
character is definately Samurai, no question.  Yet to offset this, Jarmush
also presents some very strange mobster-types for comic relief.  I found the
choice of characters to be a very ballsy move.  Most American Samurai movies
tend to be extremely generic, for instance check out American Samurai (good,
but typical).  That's probrobly why I liked this movie so much, it's a great
break from the regualar trend.  Did anyone else who had a chance to view
this think along the same lines?  More importantly, is it possible to
present an original Samurai movie to the American audience?  I know Japan
has been successful in combining comedy and katana-slashing action, but are
American audiences ready for this type of genre blending?