NIKUTAI NO MON (1988)

Jasper Sharp j.sharp at publitec.vnu.com
Thu Feb 15 08:59:04 EST 2001

I just came across a reference to another film titles NIKUTAI NO MON / GATE
OF FLESH made in 1988 by Hideo Gosha.
Am I correct in assuming that is another adaptation of Taijiro Tamura's
novel which was most famously directed for the cinema screen by Seijun
Suzuki in 1964? Has anyone seen this version?
Also, I seem to recognise the name of the director, Hideo Gosha, but I can't
for the life of me think from where - what is this director best known for?
I am also led to believe that Suzuki's adaptation was not the first, but
have found no details on any earlier film of this title. Was there an
earlier adaptation, and if so, what is the date and the director?

Questions, questions, always questions...

I'd be interested to hear from anyone that knows more than me about the
subject,

Thanks a lot,

Jasper Sharp