Inugami and Otogirisou

Don Brown the8thsamurai
Mon Feb 5 00:42:02 EST 2001

>How was the photography? He said he modeled many scenes on specific
Baroque
>paintings....because he liked the feel, not because he thought people
would
>recognize the references.

This was one of those films which, had I seen it back home in New Zealand,
would have had me yearning to come to Japan.  Nothing to do with wanting to
commune with mountain spirits, but simply that the location(s?) were so
picturesque and idyllic, and the interiors of the various homes and
workplaces had that pristine aura that only expert cinematography can
confer on smelly old shacks in the middle of nowhere.  I couldn't tell a
Baroque reference from a hole in the wall, but it did look fantastic.  Some
nice swooping aerial shots too.

>They looked for locations in Shikoku, but decided not to use them because
>they were so remote and not as nice as the ones they found on Honshu.
Sorry,
>but I can't remember the name.

So it wasn't filmed on Shikoku at all?  There goes my summer mountain
biking trip.  Fingers crossed that it's not too far from Osaka.
Don Brown