help me

Ito, Michiko mito
Tue Feb 6 10:05:19 EST 2001

Dear Antonio,

KineJapan tends to focus on "jissha" films (this listserves does not exclude
animated films, but I think we treat animated films as part of Japanese
films in general---please correct me if I am wrong), so you will receive
more replies if you contact homepages specialized with Japanese animation.
This may be of interest to you.
http://www.animenation.com/

As for DRAGON BALL Z, the original manga (comics), DRAGON BALL was created
by TORIYAMA Akira.  Previously TORIYAMA received extreme popularity by his
DR. SLUMP, so DRAGON BALL was another big success of him.  DRAGON BALL
started as a comical action adventure story of GOKU (a small kid who has a
monkey tale and possesses extraordinary strength), but it eventually
developed into more serious action story---perhaps influenced by the
popularity of computer games.  DRAGON BALL became a TV animation by Toei
Animation Co. Ltd. and was broadcasted from Fuji TV Network, and two new
series were broadcasted in sequence.

DRAGON BALL 2/26/1986-4/12/1989
DRAGON BALL Z 4/19/1989-1/31/1996
DRAGON BALL GT 2/7/1996-11/19/1997 (dates are based on Tokyo area)

Michiko Ito
Japanese Studies Librarian
East Asian Library
University of Kansas