Ring Remake

Jasper Sharp j.sharp
Wed Feb 14 08:10:59 EST 2001

BATTLE ROYALE would be a strong contenter. I was watching the NBC show
SURVIVOR last night and I thought it would be lovely to watch all these
obnoxious teenagers gunning each other down, though I guess its a bit non-PC
for Hollywood.
Are there any ideas as to who will star or direct in the RING remake?
And finally, wasn't SHALL WE DANCE slated for a US overhaul at one point? I
heard the names Tom Hanks and Joihn Turteltaub bandied around at one point
and this was enough to send shudders of horror down my spine!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow [mailto:onogerow at angel.ne.jp]
Sent: 14 February 2001 14:20
To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: Ring Remake

>>DreamWorks has inked a deal costing a reported $1m (?681,000) to obtain
>the distribution and remake rights to cult Japanese horror yarn, Ring.

This is apparently true because I got a mail from someone who helped
arrange the deal.  He wanted to know if I could suggest other recent
Japanese films that could be "translated" into American film.  I don't
know if I could come up with the best suggestions, but, if we put aside
the issue of whether we like this kind of practice, I was wondering if
listmembers could offer some suggestions.

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html