Crouching Tiger

Shoji Yumiko yumiko_shoji
Mon Feb 19 12:57:29 EST 2001

I saw CTHD in an opening night in Los Angeles, and what simply moved me
most was the audience's laudable reaction to the movie.  For me who made a
big descision to move from Japan to the US a couple of months ago for
cinema studies in a grad school, and had lots of bad memories on
discriminative attitude of Americans in business and personal life(while I
have lots of good experiences!), it was an amazing and delightful to know
such a rave review on martial arts movie with Chinese language in the US
which used to be categorized as cult films in the US.

I may sound too personal, too emotional, too nostalgic and should not react
in such a way as a stuedent in film academia.  And I also recognized a very
critical and negative criticism on CTHD in the US and China, blamingy for
its being Hollywoodization.  However, I am so much encouraged by the movie
and proud of heritage of Asian blood and culture more than ever in everyday
life.

I hope Japanese audience in Japan also appreciate the movie,
(Of note, in Japan the CTHD's title is interpreted and modified "Green
Distiny" which I feel regret...)and hope them (who are tend to be
westernized) to have a pride as an Asian.  Once again, I appologize for
being too emotional with lack of professional and objective attitude.

YS