Western film companies in Asia

Lori Hitchcock lohitchc
Fri Feb 23 16:15:51 EST 2001

MPAA also has a substantial presence in Japan, under the auspices of its
global branch, MPA, which recently relocated its headquarters to Hong Kong
from Singapore.  Represented under MPA are Buena Vista, MGM, Paramount,
Sony Pics, 20C Fox, Universal, and Time Warner (MPA is primarily engaged
in copyright protection for US films overseas, but is a pretty tough
negotiator for market share in general - with China, as Stephen says,
representing the Promised Land - as Jack Valenti's trip to China awhile
back suggests).

These are the lovely people we have to thank for DVD region encoding, btw.

Lori