Japanese Horror Top 5

Jasper Sharp j.sharp
Thu Feb 1 04:52:37 EST 2001

I guess if you're only looking at recent films then it's a little limiting,
but here's a few suggestions:

Moju (Yasuo MASAMURA, 1969)
Kwaidan (Masaki KOBAYASHI, 1964)
Kaidan Nobori Ryu / Blind Womans Curse (Teruo ISHII, 1970)
Jigokuhen / Hell Screen (Shiro TOYODA, 1969)

Unfortunately so many remain little more than elusive titles listed in Phil
Hardy's Encyclopedia of Horror. I hope these older ones start getting
re-releases pretty soon.
In the meantime, can I give an honorable mention to CHI O SUU ME / LAKE OF
DRACULA (Michio YAMAMOTO, 1970), also known as JAPULA, a quaint attempt at
transplanting Hammer's Dracula mythos to modern Japan.

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Brown [mailto:the8thsamurai at hotmail.com]
Sent: 31 January 2001 15:11
To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Japanese Horror Top 5

>With the recent discussion about best 10 samurai movies, I started
>thinking... I'd be hard-pressed to come up with 10 Japanese scary
>movies I
>really enjoy.  Anyone willing to stick their neck out and suggest a
>horror/thriller top 10?

Well, seeing that in New Zealand, access to Japanese film stretches only
about as far as Akira Kurosawa, I never had the chance to rent "Toire no
Hanako-chan" from the video store back home, but I've been trying my best
to catch up since I came to Japan.  A top 10 is out of the question, but
using a fairly wide criteria, here's at least a top five of Japanese horror
films I thoroughly enjoyed (and some which, even as a hardened horror movie
watcher, managed to give me the willies):

Cure
Charisma
Audition
Angel Dust
Ring 0: Birthday

Regarding Ring 0, which Tony Rayns recently panned, I found it to be a
somewhat original and off-kilter addition to the series, easily topping the
first two.  I get the feeling I'm alone on this one though.  After being
decidely unimpressed by the first two I was pleasantly surprised by the
direction that this one took, transforming the central demon Sadako into a
tragic and sympathetic figure, in contrast to her relentless Jason-like
boogeyman (boogey-person?) of Ring 1 and 2.  Perhaps it had something to do
with the fact that it did away with the whole confusing
phonecall-death-sentence and video-curse gimmick (how did a psychic trapped
down a well for thirty years manage to commission a video of her own
murder?  Kind of a Candid Cadaver type deal?).  What I was most impressed
by was the manner in which it managed to successfully expand Sadako's
previously one-dimensional character, turning her through 180 degrees and
back again, yet still maintaining the link with the previous movies in the
series.  I can't think of a horror series that has managed to pull off this
feat, let alone attempt it in the first place.  Unless you count Godzilla.
Don Brown