Tokyo Zance...- What is Tsunku Town Films

@allnet.ne.jp schill
Tue Jan 9 07:46:00 EST 2001

Here's a story I wrote for Screen back in June to explain the Tsunku Town
phenomenon.
No opinion yet on Tokyo Zansu -- I haven't seen it. By the way, Kaze
Shindo's LOVE/JUICE made my Eiga Gijutsu Best Ten list, while Fujii's camp
shocker Ikijigoku (Living Hell)was my worst film -- by far -- forthe year.

Mark Schilling

On October 13, 1999 a new late-night program debuted on the Fuji Television
Network starring
Tsunku, a pop musician and producer whose acts included the hot girl singing
group Morning
Musume. Tsunku, however, did not intend to devote his Tsunku Town show to
discovering yet
more cutesy singing sensations. Instead, he announced that he had been given
Y100 million
($9.4 million) by an unnamed angel to produce creative projects. After a
lengthy hashing out with
his guests, he decided to make -- ta da! -- movies.

Over the next several weeks the show resembled an ongoing production meeting
as Tsunku and
his guests thrashed out the details, finally settling on a budget of Y10
million for each film, with
story ideas to be solicited on the Tsunku Town Web site <www.tsunk
u-town.net>. More than ten
thousand viewers responded, while thousands more tuned in week after week to
watch the
film-making process unfold on screen.

On March 10 the first Tsunku Town film, Go-Con!, a drama about the group
dating phenomenon
called <ital> go con <ital> (literal translation: "mixed company") was
released and has since
screened at several theaters in the Tokyo area. Three more films have joined
it on release --
Satoshi Watanabe's human drama Maguro no Shippo (Tuna's Tail), Kaze Shindo's
lesbian
romance LOVE/JUICE and Shugo Fujii's camp shocker Ikijigoku (Living Hell),
while several
more are on the way.

Screen International recently sat down with the show's producer, Hideta
Takahata, to discuss
Tsunku Town's new take on movie-TV-Internet synergy.

Q: Why movies?

A: We had a show, but no theme. Then an anonymous benefactor -- we know his
name, but we
can't say it -- gave our host Y100 million for creative projects. We talked
about what do with it --
one idea was computer games -- but we finally decided to make films. One big
reason was to
discover new filmmaking talent. We thought it would be interesting
television to broadcast our
search. We also recruited ideas on our Web site and got a much bigger
response than we'd
expected.

Q: How did you select the winners?

A: We decided more on the basis of the director than the film. In other
words, if we liked the
director, we felt better about producing his film.

Q: You moved fast once you made your choices. You began principal
photography on your first
film, Go-Con!, on January 1, only ten weeks after the start of the show.

A: Everyone on this show comes from a TV background, so we're used to
working quickly. We
wanted viewers to experience the entire film-making process in real time. In
order to do that, we
had to keep the budgets low and the production schedules tight, without
sacrificing quality.

Q: Is this the first time anyone's done something like this on Japanese
television?