Protecting Youth and Regulating Speech, Battle Royale

Udo Helms ahura_matsda
Sun Jan 21 23:20:06 EST 2001

Battle Royale is actually not the first recent film to irritate authorities
because of its violent content; in 1996, Shabu Gyakudo (dir. Hosono
Tatsuoki) was the first film to receive a "seijin eiga" rating by Eirin for
its violent content.

The Yakusho Koji-vehicle subsequently ran into trouble with Eirin`s
equivalent for the video industry, Biderin, because of its title: shabu is a
slang word for the morphine drug hiropen, in wide use in postwar years and
therefore "not suitable to the public" according to Biderin`s inspectors.
The tape was released as "Osaka Gyakudo Daikassen", I think - with a marker
saying "shown in theatres as Shabu Gyakudo".

Other violence-related problems with Eirin occured with Iwai Shunji`s
"Swallowtail Butterfly" (stricter rating for juvenile delinquency) and
Hayashi Kaizo`s "Wana" (The trap) (cuts on scenes regarded as incentive to
violence). I do not know of any cases leading up to Battle Royale, but I am
not sure how "Dead or Alive" fared - did the opening sequence survive Eirin?

It is true that there is a considerable influence of police on Eirin and
Biderin (many of the latter`s staff are former police inspectors). With
Biderin far outweighing Eirin in economical importance for the film industry
(video retail beats exhibition profits by at least 20 times), this means
that a conservative trend in the Keishicho may lead the industry to
self-censor its products more diligently.

But the pattern in these cases usually is that every few years a certain
picture gets a decent public wipping, authorities talk about reforming
juvenile protection laws, and then it is business as usual. It is
regrettable though that the introduction of a new age limit (PG12) in 1998
and other attempts at reform have helped Eirin little to retreat from
monitoring film contents and administer age classification instead. And the
Battle Royale controversy won`t contribute to this necessary transition.

Udo Helms
University of Tokyo