Protecting Youth and Regulating Speech, Battle Royale

Aaron Gerow gerow
Sun Jan 21 23:30:57 EST 2001

Udo commented:

>Other violence-related problems with Eirin occured with Iwai Shunji`s
>"Swallowtail Butterfly" (stricter rating for juvenile delinquency)

If I remember correctly, the problem was less the violence in the film,
than the fact minors were shown committing the crime of counterfeiting or
defacing currency.

>It is
>regrettable though that the introduction of a new age limit (PG12) in 1998
>and other attempts at reform have helped Eirin little to retreat from
>monitoring film contents and administer age classification instead.

A very important point.  One thing people must remember about Eirin is
that it is not simply a post-production regulator.  From the beginning,
Eirin inspected scripts before production and apparently still does for
some major films (though I don't know how many films this amounts to).
Eirin will never be just a ratings board if it continues to preview
scripts.  But that would involve it changing its entire constitution.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
International Student Center
Yokohama National University