Pearl Harbour and Japanese war films

mark schilling 0934611501
Thu Jun 7 23:27:24 EDT 2001

Aaron kindly asked me to post my "Japan Times" review  of Merdeka -- so here
it is.  I should add that it's done fairly well at the box office, if not as
well as the equally jingoistic "Pride," which benefited from the
international controversy over its portrait of Tojo as an ill-used,
misunderstood patriot. Foreign journalists evidently
can't be bothered with a film about the Indonesia independence struggle --
though it got some ink when the Indonesian ambassador voiced a protest about
its distortions of history. Imagine Canal Plus making a flag-waving film
about Lafayette and a brave band of Frenchmen single-handedly winning the
American Revolution, with a scene of an American woman kissing L's sword in
gratitude. That would stir "USA Today" into action, I think.

Mark Schilling

                  Rating: *
                  Director: Yukio Fuji
                  Running time: 114 minutes
                  Language: Japanese
                  Now showing

            War movies have a hard time telling the truth about one of
            humankind's most universal acts. Even when filmmakers loudly
            proclaim their intention to get it right, they nearly always
make
            their films as Americans or Russians or Japanese, with the
            accompanying social, political and, needless to say, commercial
            filters. In "Saving Private Ryan," Steven Spielberg created some
of
            the most gut-wrenching battle footage in the history of film,
but he
            still waved the flag. Tom Hanks' character had the shakes, but
he
            was still an All-American hero, performing mainly for a paying
            audience of his countrymen.

                  Junta Yamada in Yukio Fuji's "Merdeka"
            Be that as it may, there is still a wide gap between the
            red-white-and-blue, black-and-white approach of Edward Dmytryk's
            1945 "Back to Bataan," with John Wayne as an American officer
            leading brave Filipino freedom fighters against the evil
Japanese
            invaders, and that of Terrence Malick's "Thin Red Line," in
which
            war is stripped of ideology and reduced to its essentials,
including
            its awful beauty.

            On that spectrum Yukio Fuji's "Merdeka (Freedom)," which depicts
            Japanese soldiers fighting for Indonesian independence, is far
            to the right, deep in John Wayne territory. But the straight-up
            jingoism present in "Back to Bataan," shot when Americans were
            still dying in Philippine jungles, is less understandable in a
film made
            at the turn of the new millennium, when Japanese have had half a
            century to reflect on World War II and presumably distance
            themselves from wartime propaganda.

            There is, however, a streak of revanchism in the attitude of
certain
            Japanese toward the war and its aftermath, with an accompanying
            desire to not only oppose the victors' interpretation of Japan's
war
            record, but display that record in the best possible light. The
            result, in "Merdeka," is a revisionism that, in the guise of
            presenting the reality of a little-known historical episode,
luridly
            distorts it.

            "Merdeka" is based on the experiences of the 2,000 Japanese
soldiers
            who remained in Indonesia after the end of World War II -- and
never
            returned home. Nearly 1,000 of those men, we are told, died in
            combat, by the side of Indonesian freedom fighters battling
their
            Dutch colonial masters. This is a story that deserves to be
told,
            and the filmmakers evidently had the full cooperation of the
            Indonesian authorities in telling it. They shot on location in
            Indonesia, using Indonesian actors and crew.

            But the film's war is mostly the one imagined by the boys on the
            sound trucks in front of Shibuya Station -- all guts and glory
for
            the warriors of Dai Nippon. First of all, the hero, Lt.
Shimazaki
            (Junta Yamada), is a red-blooded, pure-spirited samurai in
modern
            dress, who is battling fearlessly and tirelessly to free
Indonesia
            from the corrupt, dissolute Dutch. Bursting into the
headquarters of
            the Dutch commander at Bandung after the Japanese invasion in
            December 1941, he does not negotiate surrender so much as
            imperiously order it, with his eyes glaring, his voice
thundering
            and his hand firmly on his sword -- the very embodiment of
Japanese
            manhood.

            How are a rabble of mere Westerners and their native puppets to
            resist such an overpowering display of yamatodamashi (Japanese
            spirit)? The poor commander can hardly wait to sign the
surrender
            papers.

           Soon Shimazaki and his men, including the gentle-spirited,
            poetically inclined Lt. Miyata (Naoki Hosaka) and the
gone-native
            but doggedly loyal interpreter Yamana (Naomasa Mutaka), are
training
            bright-eyed local youths as an elite fighting force.
            "You must struggle for your own independence!" Shimazaki never
tires
            of telling them. The training is harsh -- and some of the young
            soldiers rebel -- but Shimazaki whips them into shape, while
winning
            their understanding and deathless allegiance. He is later
undercut
            by the Japanese High Command, who want to exploit Indonesians
for
            the greater glory of the Empire, not raise up a potential third
            column. Even so, Shimazaki perseveres, never losing sight of his
            ideal.

           When the war ends in Japan's defeat, he faces a difficult choice:
            protect the Emperor's arsenal, as is his soldierly duty, or
follow
            his heart and open it to his Indonesian charges, now turned into
            guerrilla fighters. He decides to not only turn over the
weaponry to
            his former students, but take up their cause. Many of his men
join
            them -- with a paragon like Shimazaki as their leader, how could
            they not?

            Together they wage a long, desperate struggle against the
colonial
            oppressor. One by one, they die in that struggle, as Shimazaki,
with
            the lovely, fiercely patriotic sister (Laura Amaria) of one of
his
            fallen Indonesian students by his side, sternly presses on to
            victory.

            Playing Shimazaki, Yamada is a war-recruiting poster brought to
life
            -- all clenched jaw and burning patriotism. He comes out of the
war
            with his fighting spirit soaring even higher than when he went
into
            it. No Tom Hanks-like trembling hands for this sterling son of
            Nippon.

            Save for one token Bad Japanese Soldier, a ruffian who treats
the
            local women like whores and the men like servants, Shimazaki's
            comrades are similarly upright types. Meanwhile, their foes,
            particularly a flagrantly homosexual Dutch interrogator who
tortures
            Miyata with slithery glee, are cartoon cutouts. The performances
of
            the Caucasian actors are, as might be expected, universally
            atrocious; no professional with any self-respect would take part
in
            this embarrassment.

           And the unpleasant side of the Japanese occupation? The inhumane
            treatment of Allied prisoners and the pitiless slaughter of
Chinese
            residents? If you expect to see that in "Merdeka," you've come
            the wrong movie.

            The Japan Times: May 2, 2001