imamura's movie - a man vanishes

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp
Sat Jun 16 06:06:06 EDT 2001

I may be very wrong, but in the Imamura book recently published by the
Cinematheque in Ontario it mentions that this film has never been released
outside of Japan, though I'm not sure if this still applies, or if it ever
applied to home video.
I too would absolutely love to see this film, as well as his later PROFOUND
DESIRE OF THE GODS, but unfortunately the only country where Imamura's
pre-Narayama films are available seems to be France, and I've not seen A MAN
VANISHES listed there.
INTENTIONS OF MURDER, POSTWAR HISTORY OF JAPAN THROUGH A BAR HOSTESS,
EIJANAIKA and a few others are all available from various French online
retailers (fnac and amazon.fr), though these are all fairly old releases and
not always in stock.

Jasper Sharp
Midnight Eye - japan_cult_cinema
www.midnighteye.com