essential texts on kitano in japanese?

antti autio aa at iki.fi
Wed May 30 12:41:11 EDT 2001

hello, world! greetings from the midnight sun...

i am a student of film and japanese language & culture at the
university of oulu, finland. i'm currently in the process of
writing a graduate thesis on the films of kitano takeshi. for my
work i have recently received a modest grant for research material
from a student guild. this basically enables me to get vcd/dvd
copies of kitano's recent films and buy two or three books not
available from finnish university libraries or film centers.

so: in addition to looking up all articles on kitano in english
in relevant journals and magazines & on the net, i have ordered
the essay collection published by tadao press and placed a
pre-order on the forthcoming translation of casio abe's book
'beat takeshi vs. takeshi kitano'. but since i can cope with
japanese text as well (albeit slowly), i'm also thinking about
looking at writings on kitano in japanese. my question to
kinejapan therefore is: can you recommend any essential texts on
kitano in japanese i might want to look at? if so, i would also
appreciate any pointers where i should be looking for them.

many thanks in advance - this list is a wonderful resource for
anyone interested in japanese cinema. i'll try to make my small
contribution by summarizing the replies i get to the list, so
feel free to reply either on or off the list. thank you!

--antti autio