TIFF results

Aaron Gerow gerow at ynu.ac.jp
Sun Nov 4 21:45:10 EST 2001

The Tokyo International Film Festival ended on Sunday with the awards
ceremony.  The grand prize for the competition went to the Albanian film
Slogans.  The only Japanese competition film to win an award was
Kewaishi, whose scripter Yokota Yoshi received the screenplay award.  (I
can't help but think this was a token award, given how poor I thought the
film itself was.)

In one bright note, the Asian Award, given to an Asian film at the
festival that had not been shown at a major international film festival,
went to Kazama Shiori's Canon on Tuesday (Kasei no kanon).

Almost everyone I talked to was disappointed by the festival. I was sad
that the Nippon Cinema Now people have basically given up on doing extra
screenings of new Japanese films, possibly because they've come to
realize foreign press and festival coordinators have largely stopped
coming to the TIFF.  The new director of the TIFF seems to promise
revamping the festival, and so NHK is doing a show on the past and future
of the festival (to be aired November 10). But the future does not look
bright from here.

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html