violence/kitano

Martin Picard martinpicard
Wed Nov 28 17:26:41 EST 2001

KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu schrieb am 28.11.01I think it's simply because Kitano is not well known in the US (comparatively to France by instance), and since most of the studies about ultraviolence are done in the US, Kitano is not often discussed. The US scholars (like Steven Prince) rather refer to the sources of ultraviolence in Penn or Peckinpah's films in order to explain the violence in today's films.  Ironically, to understand a Tarantino movie, one should see Kitano (Suzuki, or Chiba) films rather than refer to Bonnie and Clyde or The Wild Bunch.

My thesis is on "the aesthetic of violence in the works of Scorsese and Kitano", principally Taxi Driver and Hana-Bi , where I try to point out the differences and the similarities between the two. My principal argument is that Kitano uses the same stylization to show graphic violence as the one used in the american cinema since the end of the sixties(slow motion, squibs(explosive devices), etc.).  Of course, he uses this aesthetic in a different narrative form than the classical hollywoodian narrative form (and this is why Tarantino, influenced by Kitano, appears "original" in North America).

If you would like to further this discussion and share more ideas, I would be pleased to (perhaps you can mail me privately if you have more questions regarding this particular subject).

Martin Picard
Montr?al, QC
Canada
martinpicard at videotron.ca

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kirsten Reinhardt
  To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
  Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 6:10 AM
  Subject: violence/kitano

  hello eveybody!

  even tough i read the kinejapan mails, it`s been some time since i last contributed anything...
  well, i`m still working on my final thesis on "violence and humor in sonatine, hana-bi and brother" and there is
  question that has been on my mind and i was wondering, if any of you has any ideas on that:

  eveybody talks about the violence in kitano`s films (at least in interviews, as there is not much material on him).
  as you know, there has been this "ultraviolence" diskussion in film since the 60s (peckinpah etc) which had a
  revival in the 90s (tarantino and stone), all these books dealing with violence in film never ever mention kitano
  and i really wonder why?
  is it because he?s not american and so his background is different? but what about "man bites dog", then?

  i`m grateful for any ideas or comments!
  kirsten

  -----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht wurde als Attachment angeh?ngt.-----