Fwd: AJLS News 14

Aaron Gerow gerow
Tue Oct 2 22:01:19 EDT 2001

---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------
From: eiji sekine <eiji.sekine at gte.net>

Our apologies for cross-listing. Here is a copy of the AJLS Newsletter,
No. 14 (Fall, 2001). A formatted electronic copy of our newsletter is
also available on our web site: http://www.sla.purdue.edu/fll/AJLS.

AJLS Newsletter
Association for Japanese Literary Studies

No. 14 (Fall, 2001)   Edited by Eiji Sekine

AJLS ? Purdue University ?1359 Stanley Coulter Hall ?W. Lafayette, IN
47907, USA
765.496.2258 (tel) ? 765.496.1700 (fax) ? esekine at purdue.edu (e-mail)
http://www.sla.purdue.edu/fll/AJLS/ (web-site)

Tenth Annual Meeting Program

Japan from Somewhere Else

Tufts University and Wellesley College
November 9-11, 2001

To commemorate the tenth anniversary of the AJLS in 2001, we propose to
expand the boundaries of the annual conference by shifting our focus
from issues related exclusively to Japanese writers and their works to
the theme of Japan as viewed from the vantage point of somewhere outside
Japan. Hence our theme: Japan from Somewhere Else. We hope that this
theme will accommodate writers and issues that have not yet come under
the purview of the association. We are especially interested in
incorporating writers of Japanese descent who write in English. Many of
these writers deal directly with issues of Japanese cultural heritage.
Others, while appearing to have little to do with Japan or Japanese
literature, touch on issues of identity and place on the state of being
"somewhere else" other than Japan. Another group of writers we would
like to think about in this context is Japanese nationals who move
outside of Japan to write "Japanese literature." By thinking about our
state of being "somewhere else," we hope to discern our subject, Japan
and its literature, in a new light.
For more thorough information on this year?s conference, please visit
the following Web Site, which provides you with information on the
program, registration, accommodations, directions, as well as
introduction to this year?s invited writers:
http://www.ase.tufts.edu/asian/japanese/ajls.

REGISTRATION: Registration is required of all conference participants.
Please use the form included in this newsletter.

LODGINGS: The following hotel is recommended by the conference
organizers: Amerisuites, 116 Riverside Avenue NE Medford, MA Tel: (781)
395-8500; Fax: (781) 395-0077. Visit their Web Site at:
www.amerisuites.com. Quite a few other hotels are also available in
Cambridge and Medford areas at the cost of $150 to $200 per night.

TRANSPORTATION:  If you fly, the easiest way to come to the conference
site or to your hotel is to take a taxi from Logan Airport: It will cost
approximately $30. If you want to take the subway from the airport or if
you come by car, please see the ?Directions? section on the conference
Web Site mentioned above.

PROGRAM
Japan from Somewhere Else

Sponsors:
The Japan Foundation, Tufts University, and Wellesley College

Main Venue: Cabot Center, Fletcher School, Tufts University

Friday, November 9, 2001

12:00-1:30
Registration / Reception

1:30-2:00
Welcoming Remarks by Hosea Hirata and President of Tufts University

2:00-3:00
Keynote Speech by Traise Yamamoto, University of California Riverside
(introduction by Hosea Hirata)

3:00-5:00
Panel 1: The New Japanese Literature: Transnationalism and Heterogeneity

"Poetics of Colonial Nostalgia: A case of Taiwan Manyoshu," Faye Yuan
Kleeman, University of Colorado at Boulder

"Where is My Home?: Language and Identity," Keiko Nakano, John Carroll
University

"Seeing Double: Yu Miri's Japan," Stephen Snyder, University of Colorado
at Boulder

"Yoko Tawada and Hideo Levy: Transnational Writers of Japan," Reiko
Tachibana, Pennsylvania State University

Discussant: Matthew Konigsberg, J-W Gaethe Universitat

5:00-5:30
Reception

5:30-7:00
Dinner (Faculty Dining Room) (hosted by Vida Johnson)

6:15-6:45
Keynote Speech by Eri Yasuhara, California State University San
Bernardino

7:00-9:00
"Floating Weeds: the Arc of an American Japanese Aesthetic," Philip
Gotanda (hosted by Mitsuyo Wada-Marciano)

Saturday, November 10, 2001

8:00-9:00
Coffee and Pastries

9:00-10:00
Readings  by Mako Yoshikawa and Holly Uyemoto (introduction by Charles
Inouye)

10:00-11:00
Round table: Japanese-American Writers and Japan

Mako Yoshikawa (novelist)
Holly Uyemoto (novelist)
Philip Gotanda (playwright, filmmaker)
Ruth Ozeki (novelist)
Charles Inouye (moderator)

11:00-12:00
Reading by Hiromi Ito (introduction by Hosea Hirata)

12:00-1:15
Lunch

1:30-3:00
Panel 3: "Japan" as  Somewhere Else: "Multi-lingualism" and
"Translation"

 "Mystery Plane: Sakamoto Kyu and the Translations of Rockabilly,"
Michael Bourdaghs, UCLA

"Japan, and Globality's Somewhere Else," Tom Looser, McGill University

"Translation and the Narrative of 'Trauma' in Nakagami Kenji's Nihongo
ni tsuite (On the Japanese Language)," Atsuko Ueda, University of
Illinois

"Godzilla: The Monster Made in Japan," Jim Reichert, Stanford
University:

Discussant: Cody Poulton, University of Victoria

Evening at Wellesley

3:00-4:00
Bussing to Wellesley College

4:00-5:30
Readings by Ruth Ozeki (introduction by Eve Zimmerman) and Tawada Yoko
(introduction by Mathew Koningsberg)

Dinner (hosted by Carolyn Morley)

Party

Bussing to hotels in Cambridge and Medford

Sunday, November 11, 2001

8:00-9:00
Coffee and Pastries

9:00-11:00
Panel 4: Japan as Literary Form, Heian to Now

"The Rhetoric of Taxonomy: The Pillow Books of Sei Shonagon, Peter
Greenaway, and Ruth L. Ozeki," Naomi Fukumori, Ohio State University

"Merican-Jap and Modernity: Tani Joji's Popular Negotiation of the
Foreign," Kyoko Omori, Ohio State University

"Nantonaku Heian, Kagirinaku Murasaki," Catherine Ryu, Michigan State
University

"And There, Before My Very Eyes, Japan: Mizumura Minae Meets Orthodox
Novel," Ann Sherif, Oberlin College

Discussant: Atsuko Sakaki, University of Toronto

11:00-11:30
Reading by Kyoko Mori (introduction by Mako Yoshikawa)

11:30-12:00
Closing Plenary Session (Round table)

Hosea Hirata, Tufts University
Charles Inouye, Tufts University
Eve Zimmerman, Wellesley College
Carolyn Morley, Wellesley College
Eiji Sekine, Purdue University

12:00
Closing Remarks by Charles Inouye

12:30
Light lunch provided

--------

AJLS 2001 Registration Form
Pre-registration Deadline: October 15, 2001

Name___________________________________

Address_________________________________

City________________             State_____

Country____________Zip_______________

Phone/Fax____________

Email___________________________________

Affiliation_______________________________

Registration Fees

Regular (    ) $35
Graduate student (     ) $25
Undergraduate student (     ) free

? Please enclose a check payable to Tufts University by October 15, 2001

? Please indicate which meals you will be needing. All meals are
provided free to pre-registered attendees: Friday dinner (     );
Saturday lunch      (     ); Saturday dinner at Wellesley (    ); Sunday
lunch (    ). Please indicate any dietary restrictions: ____________

Mail form and check to: Hosea Hirata, Department of German, Russian,
Asian Languages and Literatures, Tufts University, Olin Center, Medford,
MA 02155
-------------------------------

CALL FOR CHAIR(S) FOR 2002

We apologize for a mistake we made in our previous newsletter. Professor
Michele Marra will chair our AJLS meeting for 2003 at UCLA (instead of
2002). We are now calling for possible chair(s) to host our 2002
meeting. If you are interested, please contact Professor Ann Sherif as
soon as possible at: ann.sherif at oberlin.edu or 440.775.8827 (Tel).

AJLS PUBLICATIONS

"Issues of Canonicity and Canon Formation in Japanese Literary Studies,"
PAJLS, vol. 1 (2000) was recently published. "Acts of Writing: Language
and identities in Japanese Literature," PAJLS, vol. 2 (2001) is ready to
be published. The following back issues are available: "Poetics of
Japanese Literature" (1993)," Japanese Theatricality and Performance"
(PMAJLS, VOL. 1, 1995), "Revisionism in Japanese Literary Studies"
(PMAJLS, VOL. 2, 1996), "New Historicism in Japanese Literary Studies
(PMAJLS, VOL.4, 1998), and "Love and Sexuality in Japanese Literature"
(PMAJLS, VOL. 5, 1999) can be purchased at the cost of $15 each by
non-members ($10 for members). Add $10 for mailing if you order from
outside North America.

AJLS MEMBERSHIP

Membership fee: $25 (North American members); $35 (members from outside
the region). Please send the membership form and your check (payable to
AJLS) to the AJLS address. All annual meeting panel participants must
become a member in order to present.

----

AJLS Membership Form

 Name ____________________________
 Address __________________________
 State _____________ Country ________
 (         ) Institution

 If you are a student, indicate the year in  which the free copy you
would like was  published:
19 (          )