desert moon & a masterpiece

Christophe CRISON ccrison
Mon Oct 22 08:31:01 EDT 2001

"Desert Moon" received mixed reviews here in Paris. For once, I agree  with
them : the movie is very heavy (in a nutshell : it's not right to live in
material world, it's better to live among chickens!). Very qucikly, i became
bored by these Bobo's state of minde(you can't call them yuppie anymore).

The picture reminded me of Edward Yang's YiYi which was also a very
moralistic. At least, Desert Moon is a very well crafted movie : beautiful
light and production design. Too bad, Shinji Aoyama didn't stuck to Eureka's
strong point : the less the dialogue, the better.

I was the luckiest man in the world to see Kinugasa's "Kuruta Ipiji" ("a
page of madness"). Technically, it impressing for a movie made in the 20's.
In the tradition of 'impressionist cinema', "a page of madness" is landmark
in japanese cinema.

I met there a german wowan who wrote a book dedicated to that picture, and
the silent movie era in Japan. She also introduced the movie, and its
extraordinary ressuraction.

Anyone should be interested in details can contact me.

Christophe.