A note on etiquette

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Sun Sep 23 08:53:43 EDT 2001

Having had to take care of my kid during his illness while my wife works
until the early morning getting ready for the Yamagata Film Festival, I
have not been able to keep up with goings on on KineJapan that much. But
in light of the posts from the last couple weeks, I thought I should
offer a few reminders about posting etiquette.

1) KineJapan is a non-moderated list. None of your mails are read or
censored before being sent out to others.  We, the owners just don't have
the time to do that, and we also feel that immediate posting allows for
more spontaneous discussions.  So far, the 400 members of KineJapan have
been great at moderating themselves, with just a few exceptions.  Please
keep up the good work.  Just remember that it is all of you who are doing
the moderating, keeping this list an informative and clean place of
debate.

2) Do try to keep messages to the topic of the list: Japanese moving
image media.  Many of you have the mistaken impression KineJapan is a
list about Japanese cinema. IT IS NOT!  (Surprise!) It has always been
about moving image media (including TV, video, etc.) and other artistic
and cultural phenomena which relate to these media.  It has just been the
case that, de facto, KineJapan has tended to focus mostly on the cinema
(though I for one would wish for more TV discussions). The topic of
KineJapan has thus always been meant to be broad, and therefore we owners
tend to turn a blind eye towards occasional posts marginal to the topic
(such as requests for places to stay in Japan, etc.), but we will get
concerned when a series of posts turn too much away from our topic (as
with the posts on the NY tragedy).  There are other lists to discuss
those topics. Political debate, for instance, is very important to
discussions of moving image media, since those images are often
intricately tied to politics, but just try to keep the politics related
to our topic.  There is much that is frightening about recent turns to
the right in Japan which are worthy of discussion here, but KineJapan
does not need, for instance, calls to sign a petition to save the
Galapagos penguin (a facetious example, but you get my drift).  Again,
please just try to moderate yourself.  Even if you think your topic,
unrelated to the theme of the list, is very important, remember that not
all of the 400 who signed up will always agree.

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html