Naomi Kawase - impressions

Rodica-Livia Monnet rodica-livia.monnet at UMontreal.CA
Tue Apr 23 09:01:58 EDT 2002

Joe,i wrote very hastily.There has been an ongoing discussion on Kawase which
had some critical comments on her work.I really like her work,but some of the
short films (Kono sekai,mangekyou)seem to me seriously flawed.Also her early
films are still very immature,though they do show a real talent.My point was
about the NHK interviwes and documentaries in which she appeared(Kawase naomi
no riaru wo sagashite)etc,in which she talked all the time about the
relationship between people,and that all that counts to her is the
kankeisei,the atmosphere,the communication she can establish with her
subjects.She said clearly,in a conversation with Hara Kazuo and others,that
history,the social condition,the experiences of the ^people she films,dou demo
ii,it,s all unimportant.The same point in raised in Aaron,s Documentary Box
interview and elsewhere.Kawase does indeed say that she doesn't care much about
about history,gender,politics,but much more about the kanjou,the feeling,the
relationship she can establish with people.Also she was before rather
inarticulate in her statements about her films,but has changed recently.I do
think she has a wonderful potential,but would hate to see her go into selling
Japanese autenticity,tradition or whatever.Kyakarabaa also looks really
moving.i am impressed by her extraordinay self-confidence on camera,even though
often her responses are rather weak.But she doesn't have to be a theorist,does