Naomi Kawase - impressions

Joseph Murphy urj7 at nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu
Mon Apr 22 23:48:43 EDT 2002

>  i am impressed by her extraordinay self-confidence on camera,even though
>often her responses are rather weak.But she doesn't have to be a
>theorist,does she?

That's kind of what I'm getting at.  I have been following the
discussion, and am familiar with Kawase's limitations on theory,
critical concern about the status of the authentic rural home, the
genuine emotion, etc. in her work.  I meant more generally, what is
the status of a verbal discourse about visual images, and why are we
so pleased when Aoyama, et. al., demonstrate fluency in the lingua
franca of theory.  I think it's a legitimate stance for an artist to
refuse to enter the critical discourse and find all the protestations
that "she's improving!" to be a little patronizing.   I think there
has to be a commitment to something like a visual vocabulary, that
extends the possibilities of thought, or there's no serious reason to
incorporate visual texts into literary studies.  It's just more
fodder for the theory mill, or alternately, a lot of people (mostly
guys evidently) setting up an intellectual field for mock contests of
strength.
J. Murphy