Naomi Kawase - impressions

Rodica-Livia Monnet rodica-livia.monnet
Tue Apr 23 23:37:52 EDT 2002

i agree with you,Joe,and of course film criticism and film studies/theory,in
Japan,and to a lesser extent in North America,is still a guys'field/male-
dominated field.I didn't mean to sound patronizing,since her films set up a
powerful argument on the legitimacy of (the visual expression of) emotions,of
individual ties,of the ability of film to create
relationships,communities,networks. I would also like us to explore more
critically in what ways,and whether the films of Aoyama,Suwa,Kurosawa
Kiyoshi,Koreeda,and other younger directors who emerged in the 1990s expand the
possibilities of (contemporary Japanese)cinema.i guess that if I sounded
imapatient about Kawase's insistence on emotions,relationships,kankei,the loss
of a spirituality,or deep connectedness to a common set of values and beliefs
(what she calls seishin)is that such statements can be so easily recuperated by
the media as reaffirmation of Japanese national uniqueness,and such hackneyed
nationalistic blahblah,and the fact that women,s cultural production has always
been associated with emotions,relationality,intimacy,upholding the community
etc,which ultimately means reinforcing dominant masculinist/patriarchal
discourses on women's traditional roles.On the other hand
relationality,emotions etc,have been critically recuperated by various
feminisms.Wada Junko,to go back to a filmmaker whose work was featured in this
list,and who is only four years younger than Kawase,pokes fun at shoujo
culture,cuteness,Hello Kitty stuff in Body Drop Asphalt,Peach Body Oil etc,but
does very little by way of proposing an alternative,or seriously deconstructing
such representations.Though clearly critical of shoujo cuteness,Body Drop
Asphalt at the same time celebrates it.The ending of the film is so Sailor Moon-
like( Evangelion-like,which not exactly shoujo) ,the metamorphosis of the
protagonist Eri so sudden and gratuitous, and the celebration of Eri's abrupt
passage into adulthood,with God's admonition and approval,so incredibly banal
and right out of the manga and anime world,that i was dismayed.I would like
many more films and visual production by women to be as successful and
celebrated as Kawase,s,but why do they have to do shoujo work first?kawase has
already produced stunning work and she will continue to surprise and fascinate
viewers.Hotaru,s portrayal of the stripper Ayako is stunning.L      En r?ponse