DVD Players and regions

Brian Dunn b1dunn
Wed Apr 17 14:40:12 EDT 2002

>especially since it's
>a conscious effort by the movie industry to limit consumer access.

This is what I don't get. Limiting consumer access would mean limiting
sales, right? Or is this REA thing being done to keep people overseas from
buying the NA versions cheaper than the Japanese versions, cutting in on
the profits overseas? But I still kind of don't get it, because how much
could it hurt having someone not in North America purchasing a DVD from
North America...

Is this going along the lines with the video game country codes, where
modded systems allowed not only play of discs from other countries, but
also of copied games? So by implementing the REA, they are trying to combat
illegal DVD copies or something that a region free player could play?

Brian Dunn
b1dunn at hotmail.com