DVD Players and regions

drainer at mpinet.net drainer at mpinet.net
Wed Apr 17 15:43:41 EDT 2002

     I think the distinction between the "code free" and "multi region" systems are that the former do not work with all discs(anymore) while the latter allow you to select the region you will play when you insert the disc. (Of course, I do speak from memory, so you may want to read up on this.)
     Also, keep in mind that when using certain discs, a "code free" system will not display them on a NTSC tv, as you need a video converter (just like with a multi system vcr).
     I think the best bet is buying a system that allows you to select the zone you wish to play. There are stores in the US that carry them, so it may be safer to do so. And lastly remember that the quality on some of these players are horrible, and video may come out grainy... check all your options

(sorry, written in haste)

-df