DVD Players and regions

Michael E Kerpan Jr kerpan
Wed Apr 17 15:02:54 EDT 2002

Right now one can buy a Sampo 611 from any vendor (for $125 or less) and
by burning a CD with a simple one-line text file (that re-sets the code)
have a code-free player that plays RCE discs.  By making a set of CDs
(one for each region you want to play), you can specifically set the
player to any region you wish. See www.are450.com for further information.

One disclaimer -- one batch of Sampo 611s had a bad loader (including
mine).  So figure you might need to spend $11 at some point to send it
back for a loader replacement (which theoretically eliminates further
problems).  I'll let you know when I get mine back.  Assuming the loader
repair is effective, this is so cheap that you can one for foreign
Japanese DVDs and buy a domestic player for US releases.

Michael Kerpan