Fear Dot Com?

Arnold M ma_iku at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 01:31:28 EDT 2002

Does anyone know the current status of the Ring and Kairo remakes in the
U.S.?

This evening I saw a commercial on TV (in Seattle) for an upcoming film
called "Fear Dot Com."  The story seems to be something about a haunted
internet site.  "Do you want to watch?"  If you do you'll apparently be
exposed to some strange images and be killed 48 hours later.  There's a
trailer available on the internet site (www.feardotcom.com, I think) which
is a little bit different from the one I saw on TV, but if any of you get
the chance to watch you might see a few familiar images--a spooky-looking
woman crawling on the floor on all fours, a man using the internet with his
back to a wall covered in messy black writing ("tasukete tasukete"?), a
woman's fingertips slowly reaching over the edge of a table.  For a second
I was sure this was Kairo, but the trailer on the site made me think more
of the Ring.  Does anyone know, is this one of the rumored Hollywood
remakes we've been waiting for, or did Warner Brothers just borrow a few
ideas from recent Japanese films and make their own new(ish) story?  Fear
Dot Com is coming out on the 30th of this month.

Michael Arnold